After a reasonably successful attempt at a t-shirt I was confident enough to make up the Kitschy Coo Girl Skater Dress for my daughter. I was also spurred on by the fact that this week has been Kids Clothes Week. I’ve taken advantage of the extra hour we get today to get up early to write the post and upload to the KCW website. Here’s a link to my uploaded project.
The single jersey fabric was ordered from Kitschy Coo, I let my daughter have a look at all the fabulous patterns and make the final choice and she chose the Russian dolls. The fabric is 95% organic cotton 5% elastane. The dress pattern is a downloadable PDF so there is a bit of printing, cutting out and sticking before you can start. My daughter is just about to turn six but is very tall so I cut out the biggest size, 7 -8 years. With such a bold pattern making sure everything is straight is important so I followed the advice from the pattern instructions and traced so I had full pattern pieces, not just half to cut on fold.
I sewed up using the stretch stitch on my standard sewing machine and neatening the seams with a 3 thread overlocker. I stabilised the shoulder seams with tape. One change I made to the sewing instructions was that I sewed both shoulder seams and stitched the neck band on in the round. The instructions left one shoulder open and to sew after applying the neck band. I had success with this method on the tee and so went with it again.
I had put some though into pattern matching and made sure the centre matched right down the front onto the skirt pieces on the front and back. I sewed the back skirt onto the bodice and was happy with the matching.
I then sewed the front, I had pinned but had obviously shifted and I was a bit disappointed with this.
I couldn’t leave it as it was so attempted to unpick the stretch stitch (2 stitches forward, 1 stitch back) it was a slow going nightmare with the possibility of ripping a hole every time I put the quick-unpick in. After 40 minutes I’d managed 3 inches either side of the centre front and this was enough to shift the pattern along a bit. It’s not perfect but I can live with it.
A lesson was learnt here, so from that point on I tacked using the biggest straight stitch on places that needed to match perfectly.
Before I attached the sleeves I fitted the dress, as even though my daughter is tall she is very slim. So I took the side seams back to the 5-6 years width. I attached the sleeves then sewed the underarm from the cuff edge down the side seam to the skirt hem. Because I had learnt a lesson I pinned then tacked the points that needed to match at the underarm and the waist. I use these great Clover fork pins. These hold your fabric in place and it doesn’t shift at all. I then machine tacked 1″ above and below the seam.
I attached the cuffs then I used a twin needle for the hem, hand tacking just like I did on the tee then sewing with the tacking line centred between the needles. Finshed! It is a really quick dress to put together, it would be even quicker if I could get the 4 threads working on the overlocker and avoid unpicking. I even managed to fit in some Saturday afternoon sewing but had to share the dining room table with a Playmobil wedding.
The client LOVES the dress! On the first day back at school after half term Year 1 will be having a fashion show and this will be worn plus it is her birthday so she will love it.