To get them to match I made sure I started the second sock in the same colour position as the first sock. My daughter actually mentioned how she likes that they match properly, so my effort wasn’t wasted!
The yarn is Regia 4ply Fluormania which I bought from my local wool shop. (I can’t find a link to the actual colour on-line). I thought the colour was way to bright to start with but it soon grew on me and the finished pair are fab. I knitted on 52 stitches with a 1×1 rib at the top and a 2×2 rib for the leg and instep. My only wish is that I knitted them longer. I did measure up to the knee but I under estimated how much they shrink down when stretched around the width of the leg and also I’m always worried that I’ll use more than half for the first sock and run out of yarn. But of course I had loads left so could have knitted longer, though I did add an extra bit of length to the foot to allow for growth.
I feel like I have mastered the toe grafting ‘Kitchener stitch’ and can do it without looking at it written down every 5 seconds.
Out of left overs from other sock yarn I knitted a pair for the toddler, not such a success. They did just about fit but the length of the foot could have been longer. He’s also just moved up a shoe size so the window of wear for these was about 2 weeks. But since I’ve finished his sister’s pair he has had a renewed interest in them.
I knitted these on 40 stitches, if I do some again for him I’ll do 44 and definitely knit the foot with some growing room.
Despite not really being a success I did enjoy knitting them, at times I felt like the shoemakers wife from ‘The Elves and the Shoemaker’
I have access to some fabric weighing scales so I’ve weighed the left overs of the fluormania yarn and I have 33gms left out of the 100gm ball so I think I have enough to knit him up a short pair.