Realising I didn’t have that much variety of outfits for Me Made May 14 and that I was short of skirts I decided it was time to sort out the pig’s ear of a mess I made of this skirt.
I made this way back in 2009 and it only got worn a couple of times before I decided it was such a mess that I couldn’t wear it again until I had sorted out the hem. So since then it has been hiding in the back of the wardrobe.
The fabric is a Liberty jersey in my favourite design, Ianthe. I bought it on e-Bay. It must have been ‘seconds’ as in the green flowers the dot in the middle is missing but just on one side of the design. The skirt is semi – circular and has an invisible zipper at the side seam.
Fast forward to 2014 and I now have no fear of sewing with knits and know what ‘S.S. ‘ means on the stitch dial of my machine but back then I was a bit ignorant. I whizzed this up in one evening, the side seams are sewn with a normal straight stitched and the seam allowances finished together with a zigzag and trimmed. The hem has been zigzagged then folded over a tiny amount and stitched with a straight stitch. Which looked terrible.
The skirt just dropped at the side seams.
I did think it was going to need a whole re-make but when I tried it on a the weekend everything looked reasonably ok except the hem. So I put it on the dummy and measured up from the floor to the shortest point then followed that measurement all the way around the hem. The side seams were 5cm (2″) longer than the centre front and back.
I finished the new hem with a twin needle and wore it to work yesterday. Ta Dah!
As for Me Made May 14, seven days in and so far so good. I am taking photos with the plan that I’ll post at some point during the month.