Sewaholic Renfrew As A Pyjama Top

After a break from sewing due to holidays my first make was a simple jersey top. One of my pyjama tops had worn into holes and it was time for the bin. I used the Sewaholic Renfrew pattern with a few adjustments and added a lace trim to the neck and sleeves.

Sewaholic Renfrew pyjama top with lace trim neck and cuffs

Sewaholic Renfrew pyjama top with lace trim neck and cuffs

I shortened the sleeves and took off the hem band. The first Renfrew I made was quite long on me so the original pattern without the band was long enough for a this top.

It’s been a bit hit and miss with my twin needle hem stitching so after the success of the hem on the Lady Skater dress I tried another of the stretch stitch options on the machine and liked the result.

I used stretch stitch 'D' for the hem stitching. The stitches missed in a few areas as you can see in the photo but overall it was fine, I think I just picked a bad spot for the photo!

I used stretch stitch ‘D’ for the hem stitching. The stitches missed in a few areas as you can see in the photo but overall it was fine, I think I just picked a bad spot for the photo!

I attached the stretch lace trim with a small zig zag stitch.

A small zig zag stitch was used to sew on the stretch lace around the neck and cuffs

A small zig zag stitch was used to sew on the stretch lace around the neck and cuffs

I did have one c*ck up. I managed to sew the left sleeve wrong side to right side. After doing this on the shoulder seam of the Skater dress I was taking extra care….. But I hadn’t noticed when pinning, machining tacking or sewing with stretch stitch. It was only at the end of zig zagging the seam allowances when I noticed. There was no way the stretch stitch was going to be unpicked and if it wasn’t noticeable when I was making up it wasn’t going to be noticeable wearing in bed, I think the marl effect helps, so I left it as it was.

The fabric is 100% cotton single jersey from My Fabrics.co.uk. £7.25 per metre. Well it was when I bought it but now it is £4.90 reduced from £11.50 (?) I’m really pleased with the quality of this jersey. I much prefer it over the cotton single jersey I used for making up the Kimono tees early this year. I’ve been disappointed with both colours of the printed polka dot jersey from My Fabrics as they’ve faded really quickly but they have redeemed themselves with this.

The stretch lace was from eBay. I just scrolled through the listings to find something of right width and I chose a darker grey as it wouldn’t have been easy to find a perfect match to the fabric on-line.

I stitched up with clear elastic tape in the shoulder seams and using the triple stretch stitch with a ball point needle. The seams allowances are finished with a zig zag stitch.

I took the overlocker into Bambers be fixed and I’m hoping to be able to pick it up next weekend. I’m quite excited about getting it back as I can see how much faster sewing up knits will be 🙂

 

Advertisements

8 thoughts on “Sewaholic Renfrew As A Pyjama Top

  1. Looks good! I have often considered that a lot of really simple patterns make great pajama styles. All down to the fabric choice really. 🙂 The lace looks great.

    • Thanks. It was a quick and easy stress free make. I think I paid £1.99 with free P+P for 2.8mts of the lace. It’s nicer colour than I expected as it has a hit of purple in it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s