This Sewaholic Renfrew was such a quick make. I cut it out one evening and then stitched it up the next evening which took 1 ¾ hours. I used the 4 thread overlocker for all stitching except for attaching the clear elastic to the shoulder seams and the zig zag top stitch around the neck edge.
The fabric is a wool mix single jersey, 70% wool, 27% cotton, 3% spandex, which I found whilst browsing My Fabrics. It was on sale at £4 per metre so I bought 1.5mt. It’s quite a lightweight jersey, lighter than a tee- shirt weight and as such this top needs to be worn with a black bra. I didn’t quite know what to expect when I ordered it but at that price I couldn’t go wrong. The washing instructions were to handwash so I pre-washed it using the wool wash on my machine, I never handwash if I can get away with it.
One change I made to the pattern was that I cut the cowl neck all in one piece. The cowl is made from a double layer of fabric with a seam along the top edge and one seam down the centre back. The pattern piece does have a bit of shaping along the top edge, it curves downwards slightly but I didn’t think it would be noticeable if the seam was replaced by fabric on the fold. You do end up with a whopping big pattern piece which I can see in some cases wouldn’t be good for fabric layout but as I had enough to work with it was OK.
I was going to machine tack, using the biggest stitch on my normal machine, but I was too impatient. Everything went together perfectly and I did special care to make sure there was no fabric getting caught in the overlocker which shouldn’t be. I’m sure all overlocker owners have done this at some point 😦
I took 2cm off the length of the sleeves then took off another 1cm after fitting and before I attached the cuffs.
The fabric has great drape is well suited to the cowl neck. Despite the lightweight it is lovely and warm. A plain black top can be a bit boring but I have at least 3 patterned skirts with black in and needed a top to go with them. It looks great with this Liberty jersey skirt.