After the success of the ponte roma lady skater dress I ordered more ponte fabric to make a skirt. The plan was to make a skirt to wear with the bird print shirt which so far has only been worn once as I felt I didn’t have the right thing to wear with I but I’m not sure I’ve successfully fulfilled my brief.
When I ordered the fabric I shyed away from getting a bright red and played safe and went for a wine colour. The fabric was from The Textile Centre on e-Bay at £3.49 per metre.
I really liked the fabric when it arrived, it has lovely drape but it’s a funny thing. When I’m looking at the fabric and finished skirt I like it but when I’m thinking about it I think it looks a bit cheap and synthetic, so I go back and take a look and realise it looks fine. Does anybody else get those doubts about fabrics?
I used a self drafted pattern that I made earlier this year for this denim skirt. It’s quite a simple draft which I wrote about in this post. The denim version of this skirt has had loads of wear since it has been made.
The pattern works fine for both wovens and knits but I did find the ponte roma gave a lot more bulk around the pocket bags and the top of the pleats.
I didn’t think that this fabric was going give a nice top stitch so I tried a decorative stitch using a tonal thread and was pleasantly pleased with the results. I used this for the pocket openings and the lower edge of the waistband. I thought adding to the top edge of the waistband would be too much so after pressing the seam allowance I understitched it with a zig zag stitch.
I didn’t have an invisible zipper to hand so I used a normal zipper and ‘double lapped’ it , if that’s the term. I did this by sewing the seam where the zipper would be with the biggest straight stitch, then pinned the zipper in place and stitched it in then unpicked the stitches from the seam.
I was a bit unsure how to handle the waistband, I used knit interfacing on one side but on the other to prevent too much stretch I used a narrow strip of normal fusible interfacing along the seam line.
The vertical seams were sewn with a standard straight stitch and I used the stretch stitch for the horizontal waistband seams and all using a ball point needle.
I overlocked the bottom edge of the skirt and hand stitched up a 2.5cm deep hem. But I need to do it again. When I was taking photos I took one of the back view and it was only then I noticed the centre back hem was about 2cm shorter than the front. So, I need to unpick and even the hem off properly this time. It’s not too much of a disaster but I will have to loose a little bit of length from the front. That’s what you get for rushing the hem and being too gung ho with the scissors.
Looking at the photos of the skirt it looks much better than I think it does. As I say though, I’m not sure if I’ve made the perfect garment to accompany the shirt.
But hey! I now have a rotary cutter and A1 sized self healing mat and this was the first time I used them. I also managed to draw blood the first time I used it, only a tiny nick, that blade is really sharp!