I only started cycling to work last September and even though I regularly cycle in skirts I’ve been wearing thick tights through the winter so there’s been no need to worrying about flashing my thighs.
I bought a remnant of single jersey from Abakhan. I’m not sure of the exact fibre content, but I think cotton with lycra, it’s quite stretchy and you can see the lycra fibre when cutting out. It’s a nice weight with a slightly brushed face. In fact all the components are remnants I picked up in Abakhan, the waistband elastic was a cut piece, just the right size and the stretch lace was sold in small cut lengths. The remnant fabric is sold by weight and the single jersey was £2.99 and I only used half as there was enough for these and a tee shirt, the lace remnant was 30p for 2mts and the elastic 30p. So all materials for less than £2.50.
For the pattern I used a pair of running leggings as a guide. They don’t get
much any use now and are slightly too small so I added a bit of width at the hip, waist and thigh.
They were quick to sew up using the 4 thread overlocker, well once I’d got the tension for the needle thread correct it was quick. I used a zig zag stitch to attach the stretch lace around the leg openings tried them on and they looked terrible because with the lace being quite deep I hadn’t thought about it needing to be tapered. Anyway, it was a quick fix and I tapered both the outside and inside leg seams so they fit the leg snuggly.
Last week we had some good weather but as these hadn’t be sewn up I wore footless tights under my dress but since they’ve been finished the weather has turned cold again and I’ve worn jeans all week 😦
Anyway we’ve got the whole summer ahead of us.