McCall’s M6696 Shirtdress, Completed – My Make for the ‘Made Up Initiative’.

I’m pleased to say I’ve managed to get my dress finished and photographed before the deadline of 10th September. For the’ Made Up Initiative,’ which is aiming to raise funds for National Literacy Trust, I set my self the challenge of making up the McCall’s M6696 shirtdress. For those who haven’t yet read about the challenge pop over to  Karen’s blog for all the details.

The hem looks a bit wonky in this photo but its not in real life

The hem looks a bit wonky in this photo but its not in real life

I’m pleased with the finished dress, I mentioned in the last post that I removed the back gathering and changed to a flat back with waist darts. I cut the size 10 B cup which gives me a good fit around the waist but the next time I use this pattern I’ll go down to an 8 on the upper chest as it’s a bit roomy.

McCalls M6696 Shirtdress in Hemingway Designs Fabric

McCalls M6696 Shirtdress in Hemingway Designs Fabric

I shortened the length of the skirt by 6cm, I made the length as this summer dress I made last year which is a good length for me.

The make up went quite smoothly but I did find it a challenge to get the sleeves in, there is a lot of ease in the sleeve head! I also had more success than usual with my collar stand. Sometimes I find it hard to get them looking symmetrical. I took my time and I even drew on the shape of the curve before stitching to ensure each side matched each other.

P1050422

I normally dread buttonholes as my machine can be quite temperamental but it stitched the 10 buttonholes I needed perfectly for once.

Covered buttons from Harleqin

Covered buttons from Harleqin

The covered buttons were from Harlequin .
I only needed to use 10 out of the 11 but at least I have one spare to hand if ever needed.
The buttons weren’t cheap at £1.20 each but the service is really professional, they arrived 3 days after I sent off the fabric.

Fingers crossed that my name gets pulled out of the hat for some of the great prizes going!

 

 

Advertisements

19 thoughts on “McCall’s M6696 Shirtdress, Completed – My Make for the ‘Made Up Initiative’.

  1. Oo, I really hope you do win! The dress is lovely. It is really up to your always professional standard. Well done for completing. The buttons look lovely too.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s