I started the autumn sewing off with something quick and easy. I had planned to make another soft pleat denim skirt but I found I really like the shape of the A line utility skirt I made in the summer.
I had a piece of denim which I’d bought earlier in the year but there was only 80cm of 150cm wide fabric. I took the pattern I’d used for the utility skirt and re-traced it, making it shorter and re-shaping the side hand pockets. Out of the fabric I had I managed to get a skirt length that would sit just above the knee.
The pattern is a 4 gored skirt taken from the Winifred Aldrich pattern cutting book and just with the utility skirt it was important to be able to cut it out with the straight grain central in the panel. Having the grain line up the centre of the panel gives the skirt a better drape than if the straight grain was at the centre front / back.
It was straight forward to sew up and has a zipper in the centre back seam. I top stitched the front and back seams either side of the seam line. For topstitching I use the Gutermann extra strong thread, rather than the topstitching thread, along with normal sewing thread in the bobbin. I find that this works well for me (not so many tangles and frustration) and gives the same appearance. It’s also a plus that it comes in 100mt reels rather than the 30mts for the topstitch thread. It also works out cheaper than the topstitch thread.
I used bias binding for the hem, I really like this method as it eliminates having to deal with any excess fabric there maybe when you turn up an A line skirt. The photo below is from the skirt I made earlier this year. I attach the binding and stitch using a long stitch and contrast thread from the wrong side. The I stitch from the right side in the correct thread using the first line of stitching as a guide.
This has had a lot of wear over the last few weeks, so a successful start to autumn sewing.