I’ve been wanting to make some smart trousers for a while now, I bought Simplicity 1696 Perfect fit about 18 months ago. Every so often I take the pattern out then decided it all looks too complicated and put it back.
After I finished my black jeans I re-traced the pattern and was left with the pieced together and scribbled on original pattern. Instead of throwing it away I thought I’d have a go at changing it into a pair of smart trousers.
I started with the back pieces and trimmed the seam allowance from the lower edge of the yoke and the top edge of the main back piece.
To join the two edges together I needed to cut and open the yoke in 3 places. This gave me 3 small darts which in total measured 2.2cm.
I turned this into 2 darts. The position of the welt pocket followed the line of the top of the original pocket position.
Then on to the front. All that needed doing here was to draw on the new pocket shaping. I started by adding back in the pocket corner then drawing on a slanted pocket opening, new shape pocket corner, pocket bag and a facing for the pocket opening. Then traced the new pieces off adding seam allowances.
Finally I made a mock up of the back welt pocket with the darts above it to make sure it was going to work.
I didn’t make pattern pieces for the welt pocket and bag and just cut the shapes when I needed them.
It was a really easy process to alter the pattern. I’ve now made up the trousers and will do a separate post on sewing up 🙂