Pauline Alice Carme Blouse Number 2

A couple of months ago I made my first Carme blouse using a Pauline Alice pattern. I made the mistake of not tracing the pattern correctly and ended up with a slightly distorted front body pattern and wondering why the pin-tucked yoke didn’t fit correctly. It’s still wearable but I was annoyed with myself for making a silly mistake. I had a second piece of fabric that I wanted to use for this style. Again it was a Rose and Hubble lightweight cotton, this time a grey bird print on a white background.

Carme blouse bird print

Pauline Alice Carme Blouse

Before I started I made sure the front pattern piece was correct and I also moved the position of the dart. On my first make I found it a bit high. To get a better position I did think I’d have to make a toile but I took an easy way by wearing the original blouse and then pinning the pattern to myself. I knew I needed to pinch out 4.5cm for the dart at the side seam so I pinned it lower with more of a slant up to the bust point.

pauline alice dart

I’ve highlighted the position of the darts on each of these blouses. You can see on the red blouse it is much too high for me.

I also lengthened the sleeves by 3cm, I find the original length barely long enough and at 5’3″ I’d say I would have shorter than average length arms.

For the construction the only thing I did differently this time was to flat fell the underarm seams. I realised with my first make that I didn’t like the look of the overlocked seam when wearing the sleeves rolled up.

It’s quite an easy garment to sew up but I seemed to drag it out longer than necessary. I slightly lost my mojo with this, mainly due to my work life encroaching on my time in the evenings. I need to get my creativity back!  But this evening I’m going to catch up with episode 2 of the Great British Sewing Bee.

 

 

 

Advertisements