Still Knitting The Jumper…And An Adapted Cowl Neck For The Sewaholic Renfrew

Happy New Year and yes I’m still knitting the jumper. The end is near, I have another 5 or 6cm to do on the sleeves and then it’s the roll neck and sewing up. I took the advice I was given and knitted the two sleeves at the same time. One set of needles, two balls of wool. Half way up the sleeves I swapped to slightly longer needles to cope with the width. 40cm instead of the 35cm I had been using. 5cm does make a bit of difference and they were only £2 to buy.

cable-sleeves

I have found that this jumper has taken over my life. I feel like I should be knitting now and not typing a post…. The sleeves have taken longer than anticipated, manly due to evenings out in the run up to Christmas and no knitting was done during Christmas week.

Knitting hasn’t left much time for sewing but I did manage to run up a Sewaholic Renfrew in November. I’ve made a few of these now but this time I wanted to alter the cowl neck line. I wanted more of a roll neck look. The neck line on the original pattern is quite wide and deep so I raised the neck line on both the centre front and back and extended the shoulder up closer to the neck. I had some polyester stretch fabric which I used for a toile, it took me a couple of tries to get it fitting how I wanted it to.

The collar piece isn’t quite a straight tube. The edge sewn to the neckline has a slight curve, just like the original pattern and the centre back seam slants outwards so the top width is slightly wider than the bottom width.

I really love the fabric and it was such a bargain. It is a wool mix, I bought it in Abakhan so I don’t know the exact fibre composition but I’m supposing it is mixed with polyester and I think there maybe some elastane in it. The piece I bought measured 2.20mts at 150wide and cost only £7.50 when weighed. It is a light weight rib construction, maybe referred to as a ‘sweater knit’ and it is seriously warm.

When doing some Christmas shopping I came across this thimble shaped desk tidy in John Lewis, I just had to have one!

2017-01-02-14-57-50

So hopefully the  jumper will be finished in the next few weeks and I can get back to making myself some new clothes. I could do with some inspiration. I popped into John Lewis last week and was seriously disappointed with the fabric offering, in the past I’ve picked up some really bargains in the sales. I was hoping for some interesting prints  but there was nothing. Every other area in the shop was busy but the fabric and yarn department was dead.

The latest Boden catalogue has just come through the door and I really like the look of the printed trousers. The fabric is cotton with 3% elastane, I remember trying to find similar printed fabric in a trouser weight last year but didn’t have much luck so if anybody knows a source I’d be grateful. I have the pattern I made for these trousers which would be perfect. I also like the printed shirts and haven’t made myself a shirt for a while so maybe that’s where I should start.

 

 

 

Advertisements

Bike Bloomers

I only started cycling to work last September and even though I regularly cycle in skirts I’ve been wearing thick tights through the winter so there’s been no need to worrying about flashing my thighs.

Reading the cycling and sewing blog ‘tinlizzyridesagain’ I came across ‘bikie girl bloomers’. With the  RTW Fast I wouldn’t be buying any but I could easily make my own.

bike bloomers with a stretch lace trim

bike bloomers with a stretch lace trim

I bought a remnant of single jersey from Abakhan. I’m not sure of the exact fibre content, but I think cotton with lycra, it’s quite stretchy and you can see the lycra fibre when cutting out. It’s a nice weight with a slightly brushed face. In fact all the components are remnants I picked up in Abakhan, the waistband elastic was a cut piece, just the right size and the stretch lace was sold in small cut lengths. The remnant fabric is sold by weight and the single jersey was £2.99 and I only used half as there was enough for these and a tee shirt, the lace remnant was 30p for 2mts and the elastic 30p. So all materials for less than £2.50.

racks of remnants to be sold by weight at Abakan's on Manchester's Oldham Street in the Northern Quarter

racks of remnants to be sold by weight at Abakhan’s on Manchester’s Oldham Street in the Northern Quarter

For the pattern I used a pair of running leggings as a guide. They don’t get much any use now and are slightly too small so I added a bit of width at the hip, waist and thigh.

They were quick to sew up using the 4 thread overlocker, well once I’d got the tension for the needle thread correct it was quick. I used a zig zag stitch to attach the stretch lace around the leg openings tried them on and they looked terrible because with the lace being quite deep I hadn’t thought about it needing to be tapered. Anyway, it was a quick fix and I tapered both the outside and inside leg seams so they fit the leg snuggly.

Last week we had some good weather but as these hadn’t be sewn up I wore footless tights under my dress but since they’ve been finished the weather has turned cold again and I’ve worn jeans all week 😦
Anyway we’ve got the whole summer ahead of us.